An operating system is a program that acts as an intermediary between the user and the computer hardware. The purpose of an OS is to provide a convenient environment in which user can execute programs in a convenient and efficient manner.It is a resource allocator responsible for allocating system resources and a control program which controls the operation of the computer h/w.
1. The hardware
2. The operating system
3. The application programs
4. The users.
The machine Purpose Workstation individual usability &Resources utilization Mainframe Optimize utilization of hardware PC Support complex games, business application Hand held PCs Easy interface & min. power consumption
1. Batched operating systems
2. Multi-programmed operating systems
3. timesharing operating systems
4. Distributed operating systems
5. Real-time operating systems
1. A technique or device designed to bring about a desired state by means of its own action. (188)
2. That part of a computer program that may be used to establish another version of the computer program.
3. The automatic procedure whereby the basic operating system of a processor is reloaded following a complete shutdown or loss of memory.
4. A set of instructions that cause additional instructions to be loaded until the complete computer program is in storage.
5. To initialize a system by means of a bootstrap.